Saturday May 23, 2020 – Monday May 5,, 2020 (Memorial Day Weekend)
Surf Art Expo Hours:
10am-6pm Saturday & Sunday, May 23-24, 2020
10am-5pm Memorial Day Monday May 25, 2020
Jodie Woodward, VB Surf Art Expo Show Director firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Rules & Regulations for the Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo:
1. ORIGINAL ARTWORK. This show is for original handcrafted work. Only artwork made by the artist is permitted for sale. Artist’s prints and giclee’s are permitted to sell. Each applicant must submit three (3) images of their recent work and a booth photo. Submit this application and your images by email to email@example.com. If you are not set up for emailing your application and images you can mail to VB Surf Art Expo, 1031 Hanson Way Va. Beach, VA 23454. Send images with your application on a compact disk or thumb drive. There are no additional fees to submit this application. Each entry requires a short, concise artist’s statement explaining the creative process including specific information about technique and materials.
2. SHOW FORMAT. Artists will be accepted based on the following criteria. If the artist creates surf art from any medium (painting, photography, jewelry, sculpture, pottery, wood, metal, fiber, and mixed media) that has a connection with surfing, the ocean, sea life, seascape scenes, shells, coral, dolphins, fish, lighthouses, mermaids, nautical, etc., we welcome your application. Upon acceptance, you will receive a signed and dated copy of this application from the Show Director and you will be emailed an invoice to process payment for your exhibit fee. The work displayed must be representative of the work presented in the application process. If this is determined to not be the case, the artist agrees to immediately forfeit their place and leave the event without a refund of the booth fee. Only the art selected for entry may be exhibited and sold. The exhibition or sale of anything else by the artist is prohibited without asking the Show Director for permission to sell additional art in advance of the show.
3. NO SUBLETTING. No sharing of space is permitted, unless you make the work together with a partner. Collaborative works must be submitted as a joint application with each artist’s name listed on this application and, if selected, both artists must attend the show.
4. ARTIST BADGES. Official Artist I.D. Badges will be issued by Show Management and must be worn at all times by the artist.
5. ARTIST SIGNAGE. Each artist must display a show provided sign at their exhibit in the front of their tent. It will include name and home town.
6. APPLICATION PRICE INCREASE DEADLINE APRIL 15. Avoid late fees by submitting this application by April 15.
7. APPLICATION FEES. No admittance will be permitted without payment in full.
8. CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS. There are no refunds without written notice 60 days prior to the event. No refunds will be made if you are asked to leave the show because of illegal operations, violation of show rules or City ordinances.
9. COI. A Certificate of Insurance is required showing liability coverage. Please provide a COI to the certificate holder, The Virginia LongboardFederation and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 757-222-2356. The COI must include the name of the event (Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo) and date of the policy period – May 23-25, 2020. Liability coverage in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence, and name the Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo, the Virginia Longboard Federation, their members, agents, employees, officers, and directors as added insureds. Address for Certificate Holder: PO Box 685 Virginia Beach, VA 23451. If you do not provide a COI, you must sign a waiver at check-in.
10. LOAD IN is Friday May 22, 2020 noon -6pm. You will be provided a street location to drive on the boardwalk after booth locations are assigned. Each artist will be provided an exact time to load in to avoid traffic jams on the boardwalk. Access to the boardwalk with your vehicle will be strictly supervised by Show Management. ONLY ONE VEHICLE PER ARTIST WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE BOARDWALK. Arrangements will be made in advance for artists with trailers hitched to your vehicle. A walking escort is provided by show management. Artist is responsible for the cleanup of any fluids leaking from your vehicle onto the boardwalk. A dolly or wheeled cart from your car is strongly recommended for loading and unloading each day once the show has begun if you remove your items from your tent each evening.
11. LOAD OUT is Monday May 27, 2019 after 5pm. No exceptions. Show management must inspect your space site prior to your departure at the end of the event. Your display area must be left in the same condition as when you arrived.
12. SHOW HOURS. Artists must be present for all show hours, and be ready for show opening, Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 10am sharp.
13. PARKING. Due to the event taking place in the City of Va. Beach resort district, there is no free parking for artists anywhere. Nearby parking is available for approximately $12/day. Parking lots are at 2 nd , 4 th , and the 9 th St. Garage.
14. HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS. Please use our hotel partners that are offering the best rates. Hotel info is at www.vbsurfartexpo.com.
15. TRASH DISPOSAL. All exhibits must be in order with all packing cartons and trash disposed of prior to show opening. At the end of the show, artists will surrender their space in the same condition it was prior to occupation. In the event of damage, artists will be subject to damage claims as are necessary to restore space to its original condition, including but not limited to, trash clean up.
16. ELECTRICITY must be requested in advance and selected on page one of this application. There is an additional $25.00 fee for electricity. Please bring a minimum of 100’ outdoor electrical cord to reach the power panel provided by the City of Virginia Beach.
17. TENT REGULATIONS. Artists using EZ Up tents must be aware that this is an event taking place on the boardwalk at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, where high winds can come off the ocean unexpectedly. Therefore, tent regulations are as follows. All back sides of tents must be tied with rope to the boardwalk rail. Stapling, nailing, or taping anything to City of Va. Beach property is expressly forbidden. For your protection, we encourage your tent to be completely wrapped in tent-wall at the close of the event day.
18. TENT, WATER BARRLELS, TABLE, & CHAIR RENTALS. Artists may rent a tent for an additional fee. Please contact Perfect Event Rentals at 757-428-5987 or email@example.com.
19. BANNER/SIGNAGE NEEDS. For banner needs, please contact our signage vendor: Signmasters, Rick Ricketts firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-499-0615. Mention you are an artist in the show and you get 10% off.
20. NO ALCOHOL. The consumption of alcohol is forbidden by the City of Va. Beach. If alcoholic beverages are found or consumed at your BOOTH SPACE it is grounds for immediate expulsion from the event and forfeiture of all event fees.
21. INCLEMENT WEATHER. The Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo is an outdoor event, which is subject to sudden changes in the weather including thunderstorms, high winds, etc. In the event of inclement weather that may pose a threat to the safety of our patrons and vendors, we will provide a weather plan. It is the Artist’s responsibility to take all the necessary precautions to secure their exhibit and display items to uphold all kinds of weather changes. Artist acknowledges that no refunds will be made as a result of inclement weather.
22. ACTS OF GOD, FIRE, STRIKES, TERRORISM, ETC. In the event of any outside catastrophic situation such as a terrorist attack or declaration of war inside or outside of the USA, fires, earthquakes, or other emergency events there will be an evacuation plan provided.
23. OVERNIGHT PAID SECURITY is provided each day, 7pm – 9am. However, you acknowledge that we are not responsible for artist loss or theft.
24. HOLD HARMLESS & INDEMNIFICATION. Artist agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo, Virginia Longboard Federation, Sponsorships Unlimited, the Commonwealth of Virginia, the City of Virginia Beach, the members, agents, employees and directors from any and all acts of negligence. This includes any and all liability, demands, expenses, fees, fines, penalties, suits, proceedings, actions, and cause of actions of any kind. Artist’s duty of indemnification shall include reasonable attorney’s fees and all costs of litigation, including court reporter bills, expert witness fees, and travel expenses.
25. PHOTOGRAPHY/VIDEOGRAPHY. Release is given for the use of photos, film, or videotape of you and your booth space. Show Management reserves the right to publish Artist name and take photos as a participant in the show.
26. CHANGES. Show Management reserves the right to modify and/or make changes to this agreement at any time.
27. LEGALITIES. This agreement is governed by Virginia law. Jurisdiction and venue of all disputes is permitted in the Circuit Court, Virginia Beach, VA. Artist will pay any and all legal fees and costs incurred by dispute in any proceedings to enforce this Agreement, including attorney’s fees.